The Sailor’s Bookshelf: Fifty Books to Know the Sea. Admiral James Stavridis. Publisher: Naval Institute Press. Price $ 24.95 I’ve read a fair number of books the past few years. It’s made me realize that there are authors, there are good authors and then there are authors that have you devouring their book from cover to cover. Admiral James Stavridis book, The Sailor’s Bookshelf: Fifty Books to Know the Sea is squarely in this last category. Now this might be the strangest book review I’ve yet written, because it’s basically a book review about a book composed of… book reviews. Still with me? Good! If you are going to read one book this year, you would do well to read The Sailor’s Bookshelf. Similar in structure to Stavridis’s earlier book The Leader’s Bookshelf, The Sailor’s Bookshelf is a list of, as the subtitle states ‘…Fifty Books to Know the Sea….’. But this book is much more than just a list. Admiral Stavridis clearly conveys his appreciation of both the...Read More
Home » Posts Tagged "The Sailor's Bookshelf"
AROUND THE WEB
- Requiem for a Forgotten West Texas Cow Town
- In 1943 Britain and Germany Raced to Control Islands in the Southeastern Aegean. But Why?
- Facing Doom At the Battle of the Bulge, This Tank Commander Wouldn’t Back Down
- Did the Medieval Flail Actually Exist?
- When Communist Forces Turned to Tank Warfare to Seize South Vietnam