The Sailor’s Bookshelf: Fifty Books to Know the Sea. Admiral James Stavridis. Publisher: Naval Institute Press. Price $ 24.95 I’ve read a fair number of books the past few years. It’s made me realize that there are authors, there are good authors and then there are authors that have you devouring their book from cover to cover. Admiral James Stavridis book, The Sailor’s Bookshelf: Fifty Books to Know the Sea is squarely in this last category. Now this might be the strangest book review I’ve yet written, because it’s basically a book review about a book composed of… book reviews. Still with me? Good! If you are going to read one book this year, you would do well to read The Sailor’s Bookshelf. Similar in structure to Stavridis’s earlier book The Leader’s Bookshelf, The Sailor’s Bookshelf is a list of, as the subtitle states ‘…Fifty Books to Know the Sea….’. But this book is much more than just a list. Admiral Stavridis clearly conveys his appreciation of both the...Read More
Home » Posts Tagged "The Sailor's Bookshelf"
AROUND THE WEB
- Fighting the Enemy Was a Civil War Hazard. So Was Manufacturing Weapons.
- How a Biplane Torpedo Bomber Fell Victim to Technology
- Watch the New ‘Top Gun’ Trailer—Then Learn About the Real Topgun Phenomenon
- Complete List of Military ‘Items’ Named for Confederacy Is More Than 750 Long
- A Vietnam-era B-52’s Latest Mission: A 1,400-mile Road Trip