Arctic Sea. Author: David Poyer. Publisher: St. Martin’s Press. Price $28.99 Arctic Sea is the latest installment in the 22-book series following the fictional exploits of U.S. Navy officer Dan Lenson. If you’ve not read the prior books in the series, a brief recap of this near future history has resulted in the US and China having fought a short, nasty war. Both China and Russia are pushing for greater control of the world’s waters, including the thawing Arctic Ocean. On top of that, a pandemic is afflicting the world’s population and political differences in the United States have erupted into open conflict with an autocratic Federal administration intent on retaining power. If that recap comes across as horribly bleak, well, it’s tough to characterize this as the ‘feel good’ novel of the year. However, the book true to the events of the prior novels and Poyer conveys a plausible future in line with predictive science fiction works of the past. Reading Arctic Sea, I’m reminded of H.G. Well’s...Read More
Home » Posts Tagged "Techno-Thriller"
AROUND THE WEB
- The Lee-Enfield Put a SMLE on Tommies’ Faces and Fear in the Germans Hearts
- Do You Have What it Takes to Follow in These Telemark Commandos’ Ski Tracks?
- At 108-Years-Old, One of the First Montford Point Marines Honored For His WWII Service
- Eisenhower Loved Him. The Press Likened Him to Patton. So Why Don’t We Know More About ‘Iron Mike’?
- How W.Britain Has Been Making Model Soldiers—For 130 Years