John J. Pershing and the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I, 1917-1919, Volume 1: April 1917 – September 30, 1917.Author: John T. Greenwood (editor). Publisher: University of Kentucky Press. Price: $ 65.00 I’ll admit my knowledge regarding the United States military in the First World War is not a deep river. But you can argue that the Allied Powers may not have won the war without the declaration of war by the United States of America in April, 1917. The outbreak of war found the United States Army having to pivot from its recent ‘punitive’ campaign against Pancho Villa in Mexico to recruiting, training, equipping and transporting an entire army across the Atlantic into action in Europe. Fortunately, the country had a capable officer available for the task – John J. Pershing. General Pershing was faced with the intimidating task of transforming the US Army from a force engaged in counter-insurgency operations into a large standing force capable of waging modern war on a foreign battlefield. How General...Read More
Home » Posts Tagged "John J. Pershing"
AROUND THE WEB
- Slavery at Sea: How Sailor Dissatisfaction Forced Americans to Reconsider Maritime Laws
- Tuskegee Airman Brig. Gen. Charles McGee Dies at 102
- The White Rose Revisited: How These Brave Young Germans Used Culture To Fight Hitler
- Explore the Life of a U.S. Infantryman in Vietnam
- Stephen Sachs, Prosecutor of Catonsville Nine Activists, Dies At 87