The Sailorâ€™s Bookshelf: Fifty Books to Know the Sea. Admiral James Stavridis. Publisher: Naval Institute Press. Price $ 24.95 Iâ€™ve read a fair number of books the past few years. Itâ€™s made me realize that there are authors, there are good authors and then there are authors that have you devouring their book from cover to cover. Admiral James Stavridis book, The Sailorâ€™s Bookshelf: Fifty Books to Know the Sea is squarely in this last category. Now this might be the strangest book review Iâ€™ve yet written, because itâ€™s basically a book review about a book composed ofâ€¦ book reviews. Still with me? Good! If you are going to read one book this year, you would do well to read The Sailorâ€™s Bookshelf. Similar in structure to Stavridisâ€™s earlier book The Leaderâ€™s Bookshelf, The Sailorâ€™s Bookshelf is a list of, as the subtitle states â€˜â€¦Fifty Books to Know the Seaâ€¦.â€™. But this book is much more than just a list. Admiral Stavridis clearly conveys his appreciation of both the...Read More
Home » Posts Tagged "James Stavridis"
AROUND THE WEB
- How to Rob a Stagecoach — Courtesy of Black Bart
- Amid the Spanish American Wars of Independence, These Rival Naval Commanders Met to Decide Venezuela’s Fate
- The Battle of Surigao Strait: The Last Battleship Duel
- What Historians Get Wrong About Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery
- Helicopters During the Civil War? Almost