John Tiller Software Releases Squad Battles Modern War
The latest release from John Tiller Software is Squad Battles Modern War. Modern War covers the current conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan and includes operations ranging from Anaconda to the initial invasion of Iraq and subsequent fighting in cities like Fallujah. Squad Battles: Modern War provides a unique perspective to how modern combat is being fought at the squad level and how it might be fought in the future.
Scenarios included in the game:
- 44 scenarios covering actions such as Operation Anaconda, Fallujah, Mosul and Sadr City.
- Scenarios range in length from 10 to 25 turns and cover actions from small firefights between a handful of men to hundreds of men battling it out for key strongpoints on a variety of battlefields.
- Close quarters urban fighting all the way to remote terrain ambushes are modeled and various points in between.
- 2 linked scenario campaigns.
Features – In addition to the stand alone scenarios players may also choose to play the "campaign" format where they will play a series of scenarios centered around a particular figure. As long as this person survives each scenario they continue on to the next battle, but if he is lost the campaign game will end. For players who enjoy "sandbox" features of wargaming a wide array of editors is included – scenario editor, OOB editor, parameter data editor, DAT editor and sub-map editor. 32 "full" maps are included for use with the sub-map editor, which allows "chopping up" of a map to create a new smaller one to represent certain actions. These maps range in size from 30 x 20 hexes up to 226 x 244 hexes – ample ground to make many custom scenarios.
Players control squads or fire teams of men, individual leaders and individual vehicles in a variety of conditions. Lush terrain to high rugged mountains, to massive urban environments are modeled. The system is a tried & true turn based platform using 40 meter hexes and an intuitive interface allowing players to use a combination of mouse clicks, menu commands and hot keys to control their units. Views are in two levels of 2D.
Changes in the Squad Battles series new to Modern War:
- Added Weapons Off option under View Menu to hide discarded weapons on the map.
- Added ability for Objectives to be defined as Collateral with points awarded for enemy fire into those hexes.
- Added non-degrading reliability ‘X’ for loads, weapons, and vehicles.
- Added Leader morale modification to assault morale (see Assaulting in User Manual).
- Added Demoralize load effect which causes units to become Demoralized or Disrupted (see Weapon Types in the User Manual).
- Added ability to sort data in the Database Editor.
- Added option for Mouse Wheel Zoom.
This game is dedicated to the memory of Mike Mundell who died serving his country on January 5, 2007 in Fallujah, Iraq.
Windows XP, Vista, or 7
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
Squad Battles: Modern War may be purchased from – http://www.johntillersoftware.com/