By Ray Garbee Skies Above Britain. Publisher: GMT Games. Designer: Jeremy White and Gina Willis. Price $99.00 Passed inspection: An immersive solitaire experience that captures the feel of the air war over Britain in 1940. The well-crafted rulebook and charts make finding rules references a snap. Failed basic: Not a failure, but it can be taxing to follow everything going on within a turn. However, Gina solved this with a downloadable deck of cards that walk you through the patrol cycle. A solitary British fighter executes a victory roll in the sky above an airfield in France in the opening scene of Guy Hamilton’s 1969 film “The Battle of Britain”. The film delivers on its title, packing the breadth of the three-month campaign into two hours and thirteen minutes. As a child I was captivated by the depiction of the air battles and heroic characters. As an adult, I’ve come to appreciate the solid job the film does delivering so much of the experience of the campaign in a...Read More
Home » Posts Tagged "Skies Above Britain"
AROUND THE WEB
- Tickets Auctioned From the Night of Lincoln’s Murder at Ford’s Theatre
- Historian James Holland Examines the Overlooked Soldiers and Campaigns of WWII
- New Army Museum Exhibit Tells the Story of Hero Working Dogs
- The Civil War in Maine: A Unique Slice of History
- Requiem for a Forgotten West Texas Cow Town